Thursday, July 12, 2012

Music in the Streets

A view of Cornmarket Street from Carfax Tower
One thing that I find remarkable about England other than the beautiful and seemingly ancient buildings is the impressive talent of the street performers. From underground tube stations to outdoor markets to main streets, the buskers are amazing (well, most of them). Most of the time, they have a professional set-up which includes microphones and amps. Another thing that impresses me is the variety of performers. I have heard everything from jazz to Celtic and I have seen everything from living statues to acrobats.

A popular location for street performers here in Oxford is Cornmarket Street. Today, I saw a guitar and recorder duo who played and sang traditional Celtic music. They were selling CDs and spoke with distinctly Irish accents. Along this same street, I heard a tuba and guitar duo who played everything from "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star" to "I Can't Help Falling in Love With You". I also saw a fire juggler and an acrobat today. These are acts that you never see in Regina. Occasionally, you may see some good acts on Scarth Street but more commonly, you hear mediocre musicians who perform in front of liquor stores.

I have only seen one questionable performer in Europe. There was a man in London who was standing with a guitar while a CD recording was playing. He wasn't pretending to even play it. I believe that this is the exception. Most of the musicians and street performers I have seen are of a very high caliber.

Perhaps it is just because I live in Regina where street performers are not very common, but I believe that the standard in Europe for buskers is much higher than it is in Canada. I am simply astounded at the quality of the performers that I have seen.

2 comments:

  1. You will find quality street performances in many of the larger cities in Canada. The big difference would be in the license buskers have to apply for in these cities. Which is true of much of England. So many of the performers really want to be doing street performances - they applied for the license to do so. I found the performers in Hungary to be really top notch too! Glad you're having such a good time across the "pond".

    ReplyDelete
  2. What about the guy your Mom was telling us she saw in the Portobello Street Market: "lip syncing poorly to a recording while tapping his foot with a swim flipper on it"? ;)

    ReplyDelete